Total time: Roughly 3 hrs Prep: 30 minutes (chopping rhubarb included)
Bake time: 45 minutes(ish)
I. LOVE. PIE. I love pie. Seriously, it’s one of my most favorite things. Especially, a good berry pie, but I’d never discriminate against a good cream pie, either. This bluebarb (blueberry and rhubarb) pie is SOOO good. I’ve made this recipe for four years now and it has yet to disappoint. So, if you have some extra rhubarb as we get into an early blueberry picking season up here in AK, give this one a try:
1/4 cup white sugar (plus 1T for the crust)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
3 cups chopped rhubarb
3 cups fresh blueberries
9 inch double pie crust
2 T milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Combine both sugars (omitting the 1T white sugar for crust), flour, and salt. Add the blueberries and rhubarb and toss to coat.
- Divide your crust and roll the first half to fit a 9 inch pie pan, place that half in your pie pan and fill with your scrumptious filling. Roll out your second crust to fit a 9 inch pie pan and either layer it, lattice it, or cookie cutter it over your filling!
- Take the 2 T of milk and using a pastry brush (or your fingers, yeah.. i did that) brush it over your crust then sprinkle the crust with your remaining 1T of sugar.
- Cover edges of crust with foil and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until your crust is a golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Allow pie to cool before serving it up either with ice cream, or I don’t know… cold for breakfast the next day!
ETA: My crust inspiration came from the Hungry Rabbit: